Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index Gps Track log route exchange Forum
Gps Track log points exchange for outdoor activities
Great for Garmin and other GPS to share and exchange track log!
You need to upload 1 track log to be able to download other's files.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for android app to track myself on a gpx

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbooch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Looking for android app to track myself on a gpx Reply with quote

I have searched near and far. tested so many apps available. Yet I have failed. What I am trying to do seems like it would have been solved years ago. Please Help:
I would like to download a gpx into an android phone app. Then, while dirtbiking, I would like to be able to know where I am along that gpx. to be used as an interactive map. What are some available apps that I can use to do this??

Thanks. Seems so easy but it's been so difficult.
budwha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am searching for the exact same thing.....for a while now. The closest I have found is an app by Google called "My Tracks". The only problem is when you are navigating the track the map does not rotate automatically so that your position is shown moving up on the screen...you can manually use your fingers to rotate map but that makes for a terrible experience...it seems that every map app that i have tried has this or similar issue....what gives?
There is another one called "Track Navigator" which seems promising but I have not figured out how to import tracks yet and therefore not tested fully.
hoser

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "Track Navigator" at the bottom it says "View Other Tracks" click that then choose "External Storage" navigate to your file.
hoser

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for android app to track myself on a gpx Reply with quote

bbooch wrote:
I have searched near and far. tested so many apps available. Yet I have failed. What I am trying to do seems like it would have been solved years ago. Please Help:
I would like to download a gpx into an android phone app. Then, while dirtbiking, I would like to be able to know where I am along that gpx. to be used as an interactive map. What are some available apps that I can use to do this??

Thanks. Seems so easy but it's been so difficult.

I wanted to develop my own android app for use offroad mainly to use on my 7" tablet and in my Polaris RZR.

I already have a Garmin Nuvi 500 and a Garmin Dakota 10 hand held I use to map my rides what I wanted to use the tablet for was when creating new tracks have easy to reach buttons on the screen you can touch to add pre defined markers on your track.

For example your running down a new trail and see another trail that branches off the main trail to the right, you would touch the screen to the button "Trail Rt." that would mark it on your track, you would also have a button for one on the left.

Another example would be on your trail you come across a creek crossing you could tap the "Creek" button, or get to a hazard on the trail click the "Hazard" button.

I think you get the idea, the app would be configurable for each user can modify each of his buttons to say what ever he wanted if he wanted 15 buttons he could add them if he only needed 3 buttons then he could only add 3.

Then add all kinds of other features you can add to a button like a "Note" button get to a point on the trail where you wanted to make a note about something you seen on the trail then tap the "Note" and type out a note then save it for later.

I have no idea how to make new apps dont know where to really start hoped to find someone that already started a GPS track making project and could build off it.

memphis2857

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backcontry navigator is probably the best. Another app I use is EveryTrail. Both are good but neither are even close to the trail tech voyager.....
TrickRide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 mounted to my Can-Am Outlander XMR 1000 with a RAM mount and a water resistant case which I've done a little extra sealing on.

Yes, I know, it's overkill, but IMHO this will be the absolute cat's meow once I find the right app for it.

I tried Gaia GPS last weekend, but have to say it's not all that user friendly. Doesn't seem to allow me to share maps outside of Gaia either. Sad

I see backcountry navigator in the play store, but my next ride isn't until after Thanksgiving and I don't want it to time out before I try it.

Is there a 'best"?

I live in the upstate of South Carolina and plan to travel SC, NC, TN, GA and maybe even further on ATV rides.

Have done Carolina Adventure World, The Gulches and Durhamtown Tellico (last one with the GPS.) Would really love to have GPS mapping of these places...even if I have to build them myself.

Any advise would be most welcome. Thanks for your time.

Bob"T"

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All phone/tablet apps use .gpx tracks except one. Android app "OruxMaps" will use a Garmin map .img file.
From several forums it appears that MotionX is the preferred Apple app. BackCountry Navigator is the preferred Android App. There are huge discussions on these apps in the Polaris RZR Forum.
BCN, and some other apps, convert the gpx tracks you import into a database. You can export any tracks as gpx to share with others.
I have made Garmin maps for Moab, Taylor Park, Paiute, and WV. I have converted these to the BCN database format and they can be downloaded at the link below along with the instructions.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddlukdqi0ackcqo/BCN_Files_and_Instructions_2015=All_Maps.zip

The link below has the files and instructions for the same maps for OruxMaps.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gl3xhsm9kaqms96/OruxMap_ATV_Trails_and_Instructions.zip

hoser

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gpsessentials.com/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mictale.gpsessentials&hl=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExOLvSzBJ70

hoser

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates or progress made on finding and using a app?
dustyridr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Android GPS/GPX Tracks Apps Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum, but it looks like this post history is a little dated so I'll provide what I have for new users looking for information. As of today in Dec 15 I have two Android apps that I use that are capable of creating tracks. Rever is a fairly new app that will track a ride for you and you can create a track with that via their website. I've only used it a couple of times. You can also use an app call OsmAnd+ (they have a free version as well, but I'm not sure of its full capabilities). I use it primarily for following GPX tracks, but it does have a recording capability as well.
Countdown

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For much more information on cell phone use, go to:

AdvRider.com

martin_thompson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Backcontry navigator is a good one. And most of the device has its own apps. Look up in the vendors website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: