Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index Gps Track log route exchange Forum
Gps Track log points exchange for outdoor activities
Great for Garmin and other GPS to share and exchange track log!
You need to upload 1 track log to be able to download other's files.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FREE - Google Earth Placemarks to MapQuest Routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index -> GPS Tools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R1150RouTer

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: FREE - Google Earth Placemarks to MapQuest Routes Reply with quote

I like to use Google Earth to map rural routes. I started to buy Garmins optional map package but was told that it wasn't very good with rural roads. I also like the topographic views in GE. Since there is no way to get a route out of GE - I wrote a small VB program to handle the job.

1. Download and install Waypoints.exe from:
www.edda.ws/public/waypoints.zip

2. Use Google Earth and create a set of placemarks that will define a route, e.g.
001 L 41
002 L MlrFry
003 C
004 R 136
Translation:
1st point, turn left onto hwy 41
2nd point, turn right onto 'Millers Ferry'
3rd point, Continue
4th point, turn right onto 136
The shorthand is anything you want it to be - I abbreviate because of the way my 76C displays the waypoints while navigating a route. The sequential numbering is CRITICAL to route creation. If you want to go back and add placemarks in existing GE routes then 002a would come after 002 and before 003 - I use this structure for 'sidetrips'

3. Save this set of placemarks as a .kml file
Be sure that you have the FOLDER where the placemarks are located selected, or you'll end up saving only the current placemark to the kml file.

4. Open Mapquest to a blank map

5. Open Waypoints, select the kml file, check 'Create Routes' and click Process.

The placemarks will be entered as waypoints and the waypoints connected in numeric order as a navigatable route. Download this to your GPS, save as a gpx if you wish. You can load the gpx version back into GE for modification later.

If you are a cement rider (as I am most of the time) then you will learn to distinguish where the unpaved roads are pretty quickly . . .

This is not a particularly elegant solution, but it WORKS! It's a no brainer to use and it's very fast . . . Upgrades will follow.

Enjoy
jbdbman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index -> GPS Tools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: