Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index Gps Track log route exchange Forum
Gps Track log points exchange for outdoor activities
Great for Garmin and other GPS to share and exchange track log!
You need to upload 1 track log to be able to download other's files.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SW Utah Trip - Zion, Escalante & Grand Staircase

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index -> West - North America
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tXRheel

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: SW Utah Trip - Zion, Escalante & Grand Staircase Reply with quote

Motorcycle Used: WR250R with Saddlebags & Camping Gear

Type of roads/trails: Mostly Dirt Roads, some Paved Roads

Difficulty: Easy (with noted exceptions)

Ride Description: Easy tour through Zion, Escalante, Grand Staircase, etc. This is a 4-day loop starting and ending in Hurricane. Riding is very easy and big-bike friendly with a few exceptions, see daily descriptions below. Please also note that riding dirt roads in Utah is extremely weather dependent. When these roads get wet... it can go from easy to impossible in minutes.

Day 1 - Hurricane, thru Zion and out onto the dirt at Glendale. The day's track ends with a camping spot along Skutumpah Road overlooking Kodachrome Basin.

Day 2 - From camp past Kodachrome Basin and out to Hwy 12 and into Escalante. Then down Hole In The Rock Road to Devil's Garden and Spooky Slot Canyon. The back to Escalante for the night.

Day 3 - From Escalante, up Old Escalante Road and over Barney Top. The ride out along the ridge to Powell Point is dicey for a big bike. There are water holes and a couple of rocky climbs. Not too bad for the experienced rider. The view from 10,000 feet is awesome.
Then the track descends across John's Valley and through Casto Valley. Casto Canyon is like riding through Thunder Mountain. A fairly easy and wide single track... there are a few rocks and dry-river bed riding.
From there, the track works South past Tropic Reservoir and back down to Glendale Bench Road. Searching for a camp spot and finding a nice one in the end.

Day 4 - From camp, South through Johnson Canyon, taking a very sandy track West to Kanab Canyon (Very Deep Sand!, avoid if on a big bike).
Into Kanab for lunch and then continue over to Coral Pink Sand Dunes and out to Colorado City. There is a side trek out to see the Dino Tracks (VERY DEEEEEP SAND!, avoid if you are unsure about sand!)
The track takes 59 back to Hurricane with another side trip up onto Gooseberry Mesa.

Ride report with pics can be found at:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/a-quick-fall-spin-thru-escalante-grand-staircase.1180824/
tXRheel

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 4 Track...
Countdown

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Edited File Reply with quote

I edited your tracks taking out wrong turns, start & finish duplicate track points, etc

I tried to add waypoints for the things you mentioned in your RR and added waypoints from my Utah SMTS file and a few options near Kanab.

tXRheel

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Awesome Jerry! Thank you.

... and those weren't wrong turns, they were 'explorations'. Most of the 'wrong turns' were me searching side canyons for suitable camping spots for the night.

Hope you are doing well.

-Taylor
Countdown

Usergroups:
 [ Upload-Download ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

tXRheel wrote:
Awesome Jerry! Thank you.

... and those weren't wrong turns, they were 'explorations'. Most of the 'wrong turns' were me searching side canyons for suitable camping spots for the night.

Hope you are doing well.

-Taylor

You had some really neat stuff in you ride Report and no way points, I did my best. Did I get any way points wrong? Any others you can add. Jerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Gps Track log route exchange Forum Forum Index -> West - North America All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: